Photo Caption: President Evelyn with John Hughes

Up, Up and Away

John Hughes, chair of Ulster Flying Club, gave us an entertaining potted history of Newtownards airport, from its construction by Lord Londonderry in 1934 through to the present day. Memorable visitors to the airport have included Joachim von Ribbentrop, Germany’s ambassador to Britain, who spent a few days at Mount Stewart in 1936, and Douglas Bader, the wartime ace, who opened the new clubhouse in 1975. A superb buffet in the airport’s Cloud Nine restaurant rounded off our evening.

Story by: DA

 



Supported by: